Vespers this month will be on Sunday, September 18th at 5:40pm. All are welcome and encouraged to come! For September, we will have a cookout and dinner in Chadbourn after the service.
If you've never been to Vespers, and want to get an idea of what it is like, you can have a look at last month's order of worship and the script we used for a little drama. (The paper bulletin just supplements that video screen for those who are leading or just prefer it.)
Bulletin: Vespers Bulletin - August 21st
Script: Call of Sammi Script
Inviting People to Vespers
Yesterday evening, I met with a few folks to talk about Vespers, where we've been, and where we hope to go in the coming year. We talked about Vespers as an opportunity for outreach to others, especially children and grandchildren of our members who aren't active in a church. A couple people in our meeting said that they would like to invite others to come, but sometimes they had a hard time describing the service to others.
So, here are a few ways that you might invite a friend, child, grandchild, college student, or neighbor to Vespers:
- Come for the music! We sing contemporary songs and old favorites with energy.
- We eat dinner together afterward.
- It is a joyful worship service, and we also get to participate (but its not scary to do so!)
- It is a wonderful way to end a Sunday just like the evening worship services we had growing up.
- There's a bit of drama and art. Bring your creativity!
- We share Communion with each other. Standing around in a circle we serve our neighbor as our sister and brother. It is very meaningful.
- Different youth and adults help lead the service. You don't just have to listen to one person the whole time.
- Have you heard Will sing and play the guitar?
- It is a little bit different every time. It keeps you awake!
- Vespers is informal. Come as you are.
- There is something for kids, there is something for adults.
These are just a few ideas. If you have others, e-mail them to me, and I will post them here on the blog.
One of the best parts in my mind about the service is the potential for working with others to help create the service. From deciding on a passage from the Bible to selecting songs or writing a drama, there are many possibilities for participating in the creation and leadership of the service.
Starting September 4th, we will have a planning meeting in the fellowship classroom at 3:00pm on the first Sunday of the month. Anyone and everyone (youth and adult) is welcome to come. Come whether or not you've ever been before!
We will be offering a Nursery at Vespers for a trial period during the fall. Do you have a friend or family member with an infant or toddler? Bring them!
Grace and Peace!